Saturday, May 6, 2023

ANXIETY

          


          Anxiety is no laughing matter; I know this better than most. I remember my first anxiety attack. Even though it was small and I was only six years old, I cannot forget it.  My anxiety didn’t reach full maturity until I was about 15 years old. There was a time where I would either vomit or dry heave every day for about a year. To have one’s mind tear one apart from the inside.  To have fear physically grip your heart and mind. To feel helpless and scared. There are those who think lightly of anxiety… who simply do not understand how powerful the mind can be and the effects it can have on the body. They say things like,  “Why don’t you just stop thinking about it?” and “Stop worrying about it!” You must not hold anything against these people for this is the prime example of the bliss of ignorance.

            The purpose of this paper is to show you different methods for combating your anxiety. I have put together, in no particular order, 7 attack strategies that may be of some assistance. Please do not feel as though you are alone in this. Numerous people suffer from anxiety and I guarantee you are surrounded by friends and family who will be more than willing to aid you in your trials.
           
#1. Reverent Prayer

            We all become accustomed to prayer. Especially when raised in a Christian family, being members of a tight knit Church, graduating from a Christian School, etc. We tend to forget the reality of prayer. Regular prayer and an anxiety attack simply do not go hand and hand. Don’t get me wrong…all prayer is metaphysically beautiful, but when directly under attack, you must go to the next level.
            Go someplace where you wont be disturbed…shut off all the lights, strip yourself of all your clothes, and lay down with your face to the ground.  As you lay there, completely vulnerable, prostrated before the Lord, beg Him to have mercy on you. Ask from Him who is called Healer to heal your mind (Matthew 4:23,24). Ask for protection from He who is your Shield (Psalm 28:7). Ask for strength from He who is your Rock (Psalm 18:2). Remember that you are coming before the King, the Almighty God. Show Him and tell Him how helpless you are…and how badly you need Him.
#2. Christ

            Whilst in prayer, remember that Christ Himself suffered from Anxiety whilst praying in the garden of Gethsemane:
            “ And being in agony, He prayed more earnestly. And His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground” (Luke 22:44).
            Remember that Christ knows exactly what you are going through. Anxiety is neither a sin nor a sign of weakness…anxiety is human and one of the effects of an active, imaginative creative mind.



#3. Concrete Reality

           Anxiety is fear of what does not exist, may never exist, could never happen, etc. It is equivalent to an adult’s imaginary monster. And so, to combat this “Boogey Man” you must try to ground yourself in the concrete reality.  Try and focus on the here and now.  What really IS.
            Take a deep breath…listen to your heartbeat. Your body is functioning perfectly on its own. Look at your hands…look at the clouds, the stars, the moon…feel the wind…Focus on what is constant. Focus on what is here in the now. Ground yourself in actuality, not potentiality.


#4. Anger

            One year in high school, I was asked to go up in chapel and give my testimony. I remember feeling fine the night before, but the day of, I felt somewhat uneasy… so I brushed it off. Minutes before class got out and chapel would begin, I started to get anxiety. I didn’t know what to do because I hadn‘t had anxiety for a long time before then (that was actually one of the reasons I was asked to give my testimony). I went into the bathroom and began to pace and pray…and then I realized something…I was under spiritual attack. That fear, that worry, that anxiety, turned into anger! Turned into rage! I became furious and swore that the devil would not have this victory. 
            Sometimes, you just have to get mad. Lose your temper! And fight back! Remember Who is on your side and tell your “mind” to shut the hell up!

#5. Xanax

            Our bodies are made by a perfect God, but they are plugged into an imperfect world. It is for this reason that we have death. Before sin had entered the world, Adam and Eve would have been immortal. Within this imperfect world, we have humans born with deformities, with deficiencies, ailments, weaknesses, etc. Sometimes, anxiety is due to a chemical imbalance, while other times it is your environment or even a spiritual attack.
            The Lord is able to utilize people and things for good. There are those who wish to condemn modern medicine and yet use it at the same time. This method of thinking is simply illogical.
            Modern medicine has come a long way, and there are numerous discoveries that benefit humans…especially those who suffer from anxiety. Xanax is one of those said discoveries. And yet, everything can be abused. Xanax works as a last-ditch effort. Do not think you are a sell-out for using Xanax. Instead, think about the analogy of the man who was stranded on his roof when the floods came. He prayed to God to save him and out of nowhere a helicopter came, but the man didn’t go with the helicopter because he was waiting for the Lord to save him. Then a boat came by and he wouldn’t go with the boat because he was waiting for the Lord to save him. Then another helicopter came and urged the man to get in, but he turned the helicopter away because he was still waiting for the Lord to save him. The flood grew worse and the man drowned. Upon entering heaven, he asked the Lord, “Why didn’t You save me?” to which He responded, “I tried 3 times, but you would not go.”
            Be not afraid, not ashamed, to take Xanax. And yet, before you do, I would actually recommend seeing a Christian Psychologist. Psychology used to be considered taboo by the church, but just like Science and many other studies, God can use anything for the benefit of His children.

#6. Music

            Music can sometimes help people cope with an anxiety attack. For me, I will listen to inspirational/battle themed music to help me combat the unwanted thoughts flooding my mind. For others, it may be soothing classical music or even beautiful worship songs.  Make a CD for whenever the anxiety attacks come and see if you are able to make the attack subside. You may have to make a couple CDs to experiment with. What you are trying to do is bring order to the chaos within your mind.

#7 Memento/Memory

          Find a small object that can fit into your pocket and holds some significance to you. For example, I have a children's Sonic the Hedgehog watch. This calms my mind because of the pleasant memories it carries. I know this may sound somewhat odd, but I find this to help me a lot when I know that I may soon be experiencing an anxiety attack. You see, when I look at this small watch, I am brought back to the moment I got it as a child. Sonic was one of my favorite heroes growing up, I would always eat oatmeal in the morning and watch Sonic the TV show. One time, on the oatmeal box, there was a small advertisement that said if you turn in 100 oatmeal packets, you will get a free Sonic watch. I was so excited, so my mom and I dumped 100 packets of oatmeal into a big ziplock bag and sent the packets away. I remember checking the mail each day. When it finally arrived, I was so unbelievably happy! And so, when I look at this small watch, it brings me back to that moment when I was a child, with no cares or worries at all, just pure joy. Find something that brings you back to a time of peace and happiness. Perhaps it is a certain smell? Or maybe you can make something small with pieces of Scripture written on it.

Conclusion

            My dear reader, I leave you with this. Know that you are loved by your friends and family. Know that you are strong and that this anxiety you feel can be conquered.
            Here is a prayer that I find comforting from the Book of Common Prayer:

“The Almighty Lord, who is a most strong tower to all those who put their trust in Him, to whom all things in heaven, in earth, and under the earth, do bow and obey, be now and evermore thy defense; and make thee know and feel, that there is no other Name under heaven given to man, in whom and through whom, thou mayest receive health and salvation, but only the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Amen.”


Love, Your Brother,
Phineus

No comments:

Post a Comment